Healy twirlC value skill
FIG Code Group: I
FIG Code Box: 48
Drills for Healy twirl.
- This skill should be worked on floor to an 8" mat to develop a feel for it.
- The shoulder must be pushed out as much as possible to allow for a smooth rotation in the shoulder complex.
- The turn should be completed as early as possible so the support can be re-established before the bottom of the swing.
- After the gymnast has shown a tight extended healy on floor, graduate to a set of parralettes next to a stack of mats. The mats should be higher than the bars.
- After the gymnast shows consistency in catching the bar graduate to the high bars with a thin mat across the bars.
- An ideal mat is an old mat that will get pulled through the bars as the gymnast completes the skill, but one that slows the swing somewhat.
Do you know an alternate name for this skill? If so click here.